Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Jobs in Laos

I am seriously considering moving to Laos because of my Lao girlfriend, but I am trying to find a job there. I am looking for anything IT (computer) related that pays somewhat decently.





Does anyone know of any job message board or website I can visit?



Jobs in Laos


you can subcribe to Vientiane Times website for the daily paper, which has ads for employment, don%26#39;t know how many ads run on the website but the paper itself has employment ads in english, callao



Jobs in Laos


Do you mean subscribe to a physical paper? They would deliver to Ohio?




Hi - I think you might find it hard to turn up and find a well paid job in IT in Lao. Most positions advertised locally are for a Lao national. You would probably need to either get a job through an international agency operating in Lao before you come here(UN, ADB, or private multinational etc)or start your own business under your lao girlfriend%26#39;s name, if she is happy with that of course!



Alternatively there is still a large demand for english teachers and they get well paid by local standards.




Thanks for the advice Blue.





I have considered the teaching route.





Though, I would prefer to start my own business, I am concerned about it over there. I am not familiar with the laws and would hope that I don%26#39;t over step my boundaries.





I have heard some bad stories about forein nationals getting forced out by the gov%26#39;t, etc.





I got about a year to put an official game plan together. So, I hope something comes up by then.





Thank you.




The only jobs that pay reasonably well are those working for NGO%26#39;s or companies like Lane Xang Minerals, (Oxiana), Phu Bia Mining, ALS Chemex or the like. You won%26#39;t get a job in IT - sorry to be so negative, but it won%26#39;t happen.





I don%26#39;t know where Bluecramp gets his facts from, but teaching is not well paid by Western standards. As a contract teacher for a school, you may get $10US per hour. Sure that is a LOT more than a Lao teacher gets, but its still pretty miserable. Vientiane College, arguably the best standard school in the place, pays 1800 US a month; Vientiane International School pays 30,000 US a year, if you like teaching kids and if you have a teaching degree and experience. You really do need to have ESL qualifications to teach English.





IT teaching is mainly done by Laos in Laos, and the standard is pretty poor. They have only just come to grips with VB.Net; SQL is pretty much unknown, let alone Oracle dbs or SAP or similar.





Its not all that bad, as col is much lower here than in the west. I just got back from the supermarket having spent $34 and had a huge trolly load full - easily more than 100 in Oz.





Re jobs, you really have to be here and talk to people. A lot of positions are word of mouth or depend on whom you know. Yes the Vientiane Times does have a few jobs in it, but most of them are for Laos Nationals. VT will mail copies os.





Your best bet is to try to set up a company, but be warned, everyone wants something for nothing.



PM me if you want more information.





Cheers, and good luck.




vientiane times has an email paper you subscribe to and and as of the first of this year it is not available for free over the internet anymore




rufus - I didn%26#39;t say teaching english was well paid by western standards - I said it was well paid by local standards.




Bluecramp, I know what you said. I don%26#39;t think you read my reply properly. I said teaching is not well paid by Western standards though much better paid than the Laos teachers. Regardless, teaching is NOT a well paid job by any standards UNLESS you work for VIS or maybe VC.



Anyway, if we are going to continue an email debate even though we live in the same small city, you may as well call me Ron. What do you do here btw?




Hello Ron,





Please re-read the chain of messages:





I posted ';english teachers .. get well paid by local standards.';





You then posted, afterwards, ';I don%26#39;t know where Bluecramp gets his facts from, but teaching is not well paid by Western standards.';







';Local';...';western';...So do you see why I queried you?

No comments:

Post a Comment