Saturday, April 21, 2012

Malaria in Laos

I had a short 2 week trip through Laos last year..Vientiane up to LP and on up the river to Huay Xai...I didn%26#39;t take any anti malarial drugs. I did%26#39;t see many mosquitos and they don%26#39;t seem to like me anyway. I%26#39;m going back in a couple of months and will visit the south this time entering from NE Thailand. Can anyone tell me of the risk level there? I intend to visit Champasak and the Bolavan Plateau.

Malaria in Laos

Just returned from Champasak, Pakse, the Bolaven Plateau, Savannakhet and Si Phan Don and I got fairly chewed up (some spider bites, too!) even though I had my DEET insect repellent on most of the day. I was a littel lax and guess I should have reapplied it more often but I was busy sweating while caving, hiking and mountain biking. I burned mosquito coils which I highly recommend if you are sitting out on the balcony drinking beer in the evening, and some of the countryside places have mosqutio nets for the beds. Just bring plenty of DEET and you%26#39;ll be OK. I%26#39;ve traveled around southeast Asia for 22 eyars an dhave never taken malaria meds, nor do the people I knwo that love there. Cheers.

Malaria in Laos

Oh fer heaven%26#39;s sake- no edit feature on this bloody thing, and I don%26#39;t have spellcheck...

I%26#39;ve traveled around southeast Asia for 22 years and have never taken malaria meds, nor do the people I know that live there. Cheers.

...was what I meant to say...sheesh...


roflmao

I live and ';love'; here. I have never taken anti malaria medication.


We will be in Laos for a month from July to August with 3 young kids (including a baby) and 75 year old. We will be mainly in the North. Do you think we%26#39;ll be OK with the malaria threat? Apart from DEET is there any natural repellant you%26#39;d recommend?

Thanks


What malaria threat Joy? I don%26#39;t know of any ';malaria threat';. Has something been reported in Oz papers, because nothing is in any Laos papre I have read in the last 2 weeks.

If you are worried about mozzies in the Nth, Deet and long sleeves and trousers will be ok.


Thanks very much for that - so I don%26#39;t need to stress!

  • natural remedies for pimple
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment