Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Tubing at Vang Vieng

I am planning on a trip to vientiane-vang vieng-LP next weekend. And i have read about the fun at vang vieng tubing along the nam song river. however, i am a non-swimmer, can anyone advise if tubing is safe for non-swimmers?





Thanks.





Tubing at Vang Vieng


The river is down at the moment so you will have no problems if you aren%26#39;t stoned or paralytic.



Tubing at Vang Vieng


The river is very shallow most of the way %26amp; flows EXTREMELY slowly. The areas that are deeper have bars near them %26amp; as they are always trying to lure you in you would be hard pressed to get into difficulties without anyone helping. A lot of the time when we did it we had to push ourselves along as we frequently almost grounded!



Note for other travellers like us who are not into getting off their faces.



Whilst tubing is fun it is mainly a %26#39;bar crawl%26#39; along the river with the accompanying noise. It takes around 3hrs to complete the trip without stopping %26amp; because you are barely moving a lot of the time it can get a bit boring after a couple of hrs. I realise that most people find it a fantastic thing to do but please be advised that the ingesting of mind expanding substances %26amp;/or alcohol (I think very few do it %26#39;straight%26#39; as we did) somewhat increases the perception of how fun it actually is. I am not some boring old fart, I was with my 9yr old daughter at the time %26amp; she was bored after 2hrs too!



That said, you can%26#39;t really go to Vang Vieng %26amp; NOT tube, just don%26#39;t have visions of whizzing along the river admiring the scenery in peace %26amp; tranquility!



The deaths/accidents referred to by others are almost entirely because people O/D on drugs %26amp;/or alcohol which is not a good idea on dry land let alone in that situation. Indeed whilst I was there a woman overdid it %26amp; was fished from the river unconscious (tube still insitu). No-one knew if she was subsequently ok but had she not been spotted she would have been in a lot of trouble.



Bottom line, you%26#39;ll probably love it %26amp; there%26#39;s almost no chance of drowning if you are sensible (ish lol)




Points noted, thanks to both for your advices! I think i can safely enjoy my tubing.




Yeah, the river moves pretty slowly, you shouldn%26#39;t have any problems...it%26#39;s a really fun day.




That said, you can%26#39;t really go to Vang Vieng %26amp; NOT tube, just don%26#39;t have visions of whizzing along the river admiring the scenery in peace %26amp; tranquility!





Really? I spent 2 days in VV at the end of February and spent it caving %26amp; riding mountainbikes. Absolutely magnificent. I%26#39;ll be back again in July for more of the same. I lived on the American River in Sacramento, California as a kid and had my fair share of decent-paced tubing; a slow run would probably bore me stiff. Besides, it is much safer to consume alcohol on dry land! Cheers!




I agree with the previous post.As I said I got bored whilst tubing %26amp; I had not anticipated the barage of noise from the MANY bars. HOWEVER, based on what everyone else there was saying (including those who had done it up to 6 times in a row!) it would seem that the majority think it%26#39;s the best thing since sliced bread %26amp; I heard several people say they had only gone to VV to tube.



As I also said it would seem that most tubers are into the drink %26amp;/or drug scene %26amp; therefore I don%26#39;t think my view reflects their experiences (literally lol!).



I also agree that there are a myriad of better things to do in VV, even just admiring the stunning scenery. If the river flowed faster it my be more fun for us %26#39;straight%26#39; folks!




';I heard several people say they had only gone to VV to tube. ';





That is precisely the sort of touris this country does not need. Saty home and get stoned on your own soil. Or better still I hope the cops get them.




My sentiments exactly!




I realise this has now deviated entirely from the original question posed. However, I felt compelled to say I wholeheartedly agree with both the previos posts!



I could not understand prior to my recent travels why the term backpackers seemed to now be used in a semi-derisory way. Whilst I am not hugely ancient I remember it used to describe independent travellers who wanted to visit countries to learn about other cultures. It would now seem that for a large amount of people it is now like being a package tourist on a budget i.e. you go to a country %26amp; dress the same as at home, act the same, pay no regard to the local culture %26amp; generally make %26#39;genuine%26#39; backpackers cringe at your behaviour!



I would implore all those about to travel to SE Asia to remember that just because the locals do not express their disaproval at your dress code or behaviour it DOES NOT mean they condone it. If the only moderator of behaviour is whether or not you are openly challenged about it then I feel that is a poor state of affairs. PLEASE respect the local culture %26amp; read up about the place you are travelling to prior to going (including laws, culture %26amp; customs).



Also, if you do decide to break the law %26amp; take drugs, or you are a sex tourist, or you are doing a tour based on %26#39;alcohol of the world%26#39;, then could you at least have the decorum to not boast about it loudly in front of all %26amp; sundry (particularly if you can see that there is a child within ear shot!).



Right, I feel better now I%26#39;ve got that off my chest lol!



To all my fellow %26#39;genuine%26#39; backpackers, carry on %26#39;treading lightly on the earth%26#39;.




Uh...I went to Laos, I did many cultural things in Laos, I also went tubing and enjoyed myself and enjoyed a few Beer Laos along the way. Not sure how this makes me disrespectful.

No comments:

Post a Comment